Bookseller – Part-Time
We are pleased to announce that we are looking for TWO friendly, organised and enthusiastic booksellers to join our team at Reading Roots Bookshop.
We’re looking for people that love books and enjoy talking about them too! As a community bookshop, it is essential that any new team members are prepared to have plenty of natters about books, authors, adventures, and everything in-between! Good research skills would be an asset (some books can be tricky to track down) and you may need to be fairly flexible as this new business finds its feet in our town.
We would ideally like someone who has some retail experience and is familiar with modern till systems. Full training will be given, but some tech knowledge would greatly help as the tills often have a mind of their own!
Both positions are part-time roles that would roughly have 6 to 12 hours a week. The two shifts available would be 10am-1.30pm, and 1.30pm-5pm. We estimate that you would have two or three shifts a week, Monday to Saturday. We are more than happy to discuss your circumstances and any restrictions that you may have regarding shift hours.
What you’ll be doing:
- Bookselling: serving customers at the till, taking orders, recommending books, organising shelves, and helping to keep the premises clean, tidy, and safe for staff and customers (including upstairs spaces).
- Using Gardlink to place orders, stock new titles, and research.
- Answering emails and customer queries
- Process deliveries and returns.
- Picking and packing web orders.
- Providing some content for newsletters and social media.
- Selling gift vouchers and national book tokens.
- Creating displays in the shop and windows.
- Assistance in setting up events i.e. author talks/signings etc
This is a creative role which can be expanded to incorporate the interests of the successful candidate within any aspect of bookselling and retail.
Please don’t apply if you’re looking for term time only, weekend or holiday employment. It is often quite a physical role, with hours standing up and heavy boxes of books to lift and move.
Please apply by emailing us your CV and covering letter (please also tell us your top three books that you’ve enjoyed, and your most recent read) to: email@example.com with ‘Bookseller Application’ in the subject line.
Deadline for applications: Thursday 1st April 2021
Start Date: Immediate